Tax Season 2023 (updated 1/17/2023):
We are no longer recruiting for first year tax preparers but if you have previousl VITA experience or are interested in volunteering in a different role, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have previous experience with another VITA or AARP program, please also let us know how many years and in what capacity.
Returning volunteers, check your email for updates, as well as this page.
Looking for the link to the drop in sessions to work on your certification exam? Click here
Learn more about becoming a VITA volunteer:
credit: Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
Your expertise and time are vital to our organization.
Volunteers like you are the core to our existence. Every tax season, our volunteers share their skills and knowledge, serving families and individuals across the Metropolitan Washington, D.C. area. In 2022 alone, volunteers provided more than 6,000 hours of service which directly enabled clients to receive over $8.2 million in net federal and state refunds.
We are looking for volunteers who:
- Have strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Read, speak and understand English proficiently (preparers must be fluent)
- Are patient, and able to understand and answer questions that clients may have
- Are comfortable working with diverse populations
- Can commit to one four-hour session per week from the end of January until April 18th
Special Volunteer Needs:
- Volunteers proficient in Spanish, Amharic, Chinese, French, Arabic, ASL, Tagalog
- Volunteers who live or work in DC’s Wards 7 or 8
- Volunteers available during the day on Wednesdays or Thursdays
Click here to learn more about volunteer roles.
Other volunteer opportunities in MD and VA areas:
If our volunteer locations, days, or times don’t fit your schedule, consider volunteering with one of these other local VITA programs:
- Northern Virginia CASH
- Montgomery County, MD
- Baltimore and Maryland State-wide: CASH Campaign of Maryland
Looking to volunteer in another City or State?
- New York City: Community Tax Aid NYC.
- Philadelphia: Campaign for Working Families.
- Richmond: United Way
- Maryland, Virginia, and other states: Other programs.